These burgers were the perfect easy summertime burger recipe. They are filled with cheese, salsa and crushed tortilla chips – an oddly perfect ingredient that I wish I had thought of. We are always crushing up tortilla chips in our tacos – so why not cook them inside the burger? Ingenious. I only had Frontera Chipotle salsa on hand – but you can use any kind of salsa you may have. I found the the chipotle really gave these burgers a great taste though. My husband is seriously obsessed with the Frontera salsas – I can barely keep the house stocked with them. I went to two of Rick Bayless’ restaurants in Chicago recently (if you don’t know who he is by now you are missing out!) – and I am still thinking about the food – so fresh, so flavorful and so so delicious. It really has inspired me to cook some more adventurous Mexican dishes. I topped these burgers with some extra cheese, fresh sliced avocados and some more salsa. Y.U.M.M.Y! Enjoy!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup salsa, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 4 burger buns
- sliced fresh avocado, for serving
1. In a medium bowl, combine the beef, shredded cheese, salsa, tortilla chips, green onions, chili powder and garlic salt.
2. Shape into 4 burger patties.
3. Cook on the preheated grill for about 5 minutes on each side, or until cook through.
4. Place on buns and top with additional cheese and salsa. Top with fresh avocado slices.
Source: Pennies on a Platter