- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 1 lb. pizza dough (homemade or store-bought), cut in four pieces
- 8-10 meatballs, halved
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, torn into pieces
- 6-8 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- extra-virgin olive oil
- dried Italian seasoning
1. Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a 10-inch skillet, add the sliced mushrooms and spinach over medium heat. Cook until spinach is wilted and liquid is released and mushrooms are softened. Transfer spinach and mushrooms to a cutting board and roughly chop.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each piece of dough into a 8-inch circle.
4. In a medium bowl, combine meatballs, sauce, cheese, spinach, mushrooms, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
5. Divide mixture evenly among bottom halves of dough rounds, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold top half of each round over filling and roll and pinch edges to seal.
6. Brush tops of calzones with olive oil and sprinkle some dried Italian seasoning on top.
7. Carefully transfer calzones to baking stone and bake until golden brown, approximately 15 to 18 minutes.
Source: adapted from Everyday Food , May 2010