It doesn’t get much better than freshly picked asparagus! And you have to enjoy it while it lasts – since it is here and gone very quickly! Although this is also great raw – I decided to roast this with just a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. It was absolutely delicious! Also delicious was this flank steak with a balsamic teriyaki sauce that I made to go with it. Enjoy!
For the steak:
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 2 Tbsp. canola cooking oil
For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. mirin
1. To make the sauce: Add the butter to a small saucepan and heat over medium-low. When the butter just starts to bubble, add the shallots and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until soft.
2. Pour in the balsamic vinegar, turn the heat up, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, immediately turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until reduced by half.
3. Add the sugar, stock, soy sauce, and mirin. Stir well and bring to a boil. When it reaches a boil, immediately turn the heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool.
4. To make the steak: If you're grilling outdoors, preheat the grill for direct grilling over high heat. If you're cooking the steak on a stovetop, set a large frying pan or grill pan over high heat. Then add the oil and swirl to coat.
5. Add the steak to the hot grill or pan in one layer. Cook until desired doneness.
6. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes, then slice across the grain. Pour the balsamic teriyaki sauce over the meat to serve.