Feb 2, 2012

Sesame crusted Salmon

sesame crusted salmon 1

Salmon is really the only fish that I buy consistently.   In an effort to not waste too much food – I try to plan my meals each week so that some dinners give leftovers and some don’t.  So salmon is one of my easy go-to items to make when I already have a fridge full for leftovers for lunches.

[I would never make extra salmon to bring to work for lunch – I am not going to be that person who stinks up the entire office by reheating fish in the microwave]

I loved how perfect the sesame seeds crusted onto the salmon – I burnt my finger getting that perfection!   But it was worth it – so is the quick pan sauce you make to dip the salmon in.  I served this with some rice and some roasted sugar snap peas – seriously a perfect meal!  Enjoy!

sesame crusted salmon 2

Ingredients

for the glaze:

  • 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. mirin
  • 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 tsp. sugar
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. cold water

for the salmon:

  • 1 large egg white
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 2 salmon fillets, about 8 oz. each
  • 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil

Directions

1. To make the glaze: combine the soy sauce, mirin, chicken broth, sugar and garlic in a small bowl; whisk to blend.  In another small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water and whisk until smooth.

2. To make the salmon: combine the egg white and cornstarch in a shallow dish and whisk to blend.  Brush the skinless side of each salmon fillet with the egg white mixture. 

3. Place the sesame seeds in a second shallow dish.  Dip the side of the salmon fillets with the egg mixture in the sesame seeds and press gently to coat completely.

4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  When the oil is hot, place the salmon in the pan, seeded side down, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the sesame seeds are golden brown.  Turn and continue cooking an additional 3 minutes or until cooked through (about 130 degrees F).  Remove to a plate, tent with foil, and set aside.

5. Pour off any oil remaining in the skillet and lower the heat to medium.  Add the soy sauce mixture to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Whisk in the cornstarch-water mixture and continue simmering until the sauce has thickened, about 1 minute more.  Serve immediately with the warm salmon fillets.

Source: Annie’s Eats

Printer-friendly version

3 comments:

  1. This looks good! Where do you get your salmon around here? I have trouble finding good salmon that's wild caught and not dry/fishy smelling. I saw that there's a new wild caught seafood market on Sheridan and Eggert though that I'm going to have to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy - this is farm-raised from Wegmans. I keep meaning to go to that new fish store - my Aunt called me when she found out they opened a location near us - she goes to their other store and highly recommends it.

      Delete
  2. Oh that looks wonderful!! I love good salmon recipes.

    ReplyDelete