Feb 7, 2012

Chicken wraps w/black bean salsa and guacamole

chicken wraps

I am always looking for easy, healthy lunches and dinners.   As soon as I saw this recipe I knew it was right up my alley – it reminded me of something I would order if I saw it on the menu at a deli.  I made this much easier on myself by buying a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and shredding it myself.   So I just had to mix up the black bean salsa and the guacamole.   I loved every bit of this sandwich – I would probably eat it every day if I could – I ate it for dinner one night, then lunch the next two days.  I doubt I would even grow tired of it if I did!  Enjoy!

Ingredients

For the guacamole:

  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
  • 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped

For the black bean salsa:

  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tomato, seeded and diced
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
  • 1 green onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. jalapeño, finely minced
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup corn (defrosted if frozen)
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin

To assemble:

  • 6 large spinach or whole wheat wraps
  • 2 roasted chicken breasts, diced or shredded
  • 4-5 cups baby spinach leaves
  • Monterey jack cheese, shredded

Directions

1. To make the guacamole: split the avocados and remove the pits.  Scoop the flesh into a medium bowl.  Mash with a fork until smooth.  Add in the onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and jalapeño.  Continue mashing until it has a fluffy, whipped texture.  Adjust seasonings to taste.

2. To make the black bean salsa: combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.  Toss to combine and refrigerate to allow the flavors to mingle.

3. Briefly microwave the tortillas or wraps to warm them and make them malleable.  Place a tortilla on a work surface and spread 2 tablespoons of guacamole on top.  Add about 1/4 cup of the cooked chicken to the bottom third of the tortilla.  Top with 3 tablespoons of the black bean salsa,  a handful of baby spinach leaves and a sprinkle of cheese.

4. Roll the bottom edge up and over the fillings, fold the sides inward, and roll tightly the rest of the way, burrito-style.  Place on a cutting board and slice diagonally. 

Source: adapted from Annie’s Eats

Printer-friendly version

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love a tasty and healthy wrap for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yessss this is the perfect quick weeknight meal! i love it!

    ReplyDelete