When your favorite cooking magazine devotes three pages to chocolate cupcakes, I think it is a sign that you have to make them! My husband asked me to make a special treat for a group he was working with and I these were at the top of my list of recipes to try. But the recipe only called for 12 cupcakes – so I knew I would have to double it to get 24. And I didn’t want to send him with my cupcake carrier with one precariously missing from the tray. But as luck would have it – I managed to get 27 cupcakes out of a double batch! So that means I got to try one (or maybe three?) of these :)
And let me warn you now – these were to.die.for! If you are a chocolate lover – these are the best chocolate cupcakes ever! I am not joking here people! Just when you can’t get enough of the rich chocolate buttercream on top – you hit the ganache filled center. Oh my! I especially loved the taste and texture of the cake. I got perfectly domed cupcake tops, which I loved since I sometimes my cupcakes sink in the middle when they are cooling. You.must.make.these!
Ingredients (makes 12 –13 cupcakes)
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- 3/4 cup hot coffee
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch table salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter , softened and cut into 1-tablespoon pieces
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate , melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the ganache filling
1. Place chocolate, cream, and confectioners’ sugar in medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave on high power until mixture is warm to touch, 20 to 30 seconds. Whisk until smooth; transfer bowl to refrigerator and let stand until just chilled, no longer than 30 minutes.
For the cupcakes
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard-size muffin pan with baking-cup liners.
2. Place chocolate and cocoa in medium bowl. Pour hot coffee over mixture and whisk until smooth. Set in refrigerator to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
3. Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
4. Whisk oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla into cooled chocolate-cocoa mixture until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
5. Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Place one slightly rounded teaspoon ganache filling on top of each cupcake. Bake until cupcakes are set and just firm to touch, 17 to 19 minutes.
6. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before frosting, about 1 hour.
For the chocolate frosting
1. Combine sugar, egg whites, and salt in bowl of stand mixer; place bowl over pan of simmering water. Whisking gently but constantly, heat mixture until slightly thickened, foamy, and registers 150 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Place bowl in stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Beat mixture on medium speed until consistency of shaving cream and slightly cooled, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add butter, 1 piece at a time, until smooth and creamy. (Frosting may look curdled after half of butter has been added; it will smooth with additional butter.)
4. Once all butter is added, add cooled melted chocolate and vanilla; mix until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light, fluffy, and thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds, scraping beater and sides of bowl with rubber spatula as necessary.
Source: Cook’s Illustrated, May 2010