It would not be summer without a cookout! And this is the perfect recipe since a lot of the prep can be done ahead of time. For this version I marinated the chicken for an entire day ahead of time – and it worked great because the marinade was not acidic and did not cook the chicken like some marinates do. I filled these kebabs with all of my favorite veggies – tomatoes, red pepper, eggplant, baby bella mushrooms, zucchini and onions. Of course you can use a combination of any ingredients you wish – and I promise you that these will be your next grilling success! Enjoy the rest of summer while it lasts!
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (any combination of chives, fresh basil, parsley, tarragon, oregano, cilantro, mint leaves, thyme or rosemary.)
- 1 tsp. table salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 cups vegetables cut into 1/2 to 1 inch chunks (onions, grape tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, squash, peppers, mushrooms, etc.)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil to coat vegetables
1. To make marinade: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
2. Mix marinade and chicken in gallon-size zipper-lock plastic bag; seal bag and refrigerate, turning once or twice, until chicken has marinated fully, at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours.
3. Meanwhile, lightly coat vegetables by tossing in medium bowl with oil and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Remove chicken chunks from bag; discard marinade. Thread a portion of chicken and vegetables onto skewers. Grill over medium heat, turning each kebab one quarter turn every 2 minutes, until chicken and vegetables are lightly browned and meat is fully cooked, about 8 minutes total for white meat. Check for doneness by cutting into one piece of chicken when it looks opaque on all sides. Remove kebabs from grill when there is no pink at the center. Serve immediately.
Source: Cooks Illustrated