Dec 15, 2010

Crunchy Honey Chicken Stir-fry

honey chicken stir fry

When I am working on my weekly meal plan – I use several sources for inspiration.  These include recently starred items in my google reader, magazines, blogs, cookbooks and recipes I’ve already made from my blog.  Well, last week when I went to look through my recently starred items – I realized that every single thing was a dessert (I know, I have a problem) – except for this dish!  So I knew I had to try it.  It’s just a simple stir-fry – but the cornstarch coating on the chicken and the honey make the chicken crunchy, sweet and delicious.  The soy sauce gives it a nice balance of flavor to the sweetness of the honey.  I also love that it uses three of my favorite vegetables – broccoli, red peppers and sugar snap peas.   This is definitely a winner for an easy weeknight meal. 

honey chicken stir fry 2

Ingredients

  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders, diced in cubes
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup sugar snap peas
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • dash of crushed red pepper flakes
  • salt and pepper
  • cooked brown or white rice, for serving

Directions

1. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 Tbsp. olive oil until shimmering.

3. Dip chicken pieces in egg whites and then lightly dredge in cornstarch.

4. Add to the skillet in batches, being careful to not overcrowd the pan. Let brown for 2-3 minutes, then flip. Continue with remaining chicken pieces until all are cooked.  Set aside on a plate.

5. Add remaining Tbsp. of olive oil to the now empty pan.  Add veggies with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add in soy sauce and garlic and stir about 60 seconds.

6. Return the chicken to the skillet with the veggies. Add honey and red pepper flakes and thoroughly mix to combine. Serve with rice.

Source: How Sweet It Is

Printer-friendly version

1 comment:

  1. With all of the sugar floating around the blogosphere these days it's nice to see a real meal for a change. I will have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete